Friday, September 12, 2008

September 11th A Day We Will Never Forget

I remember it like it was yesterday, I was in the bedroom putting on my make-up for work and my husband calls for me to come to the television. I watched in awe as the news crew scrambled to piece together the events leading to the first burning twin tower. I sat in disbelief frozen to my television grasping reality as I viewed what looked like something out of a blockbuster movie. Before I could wrap my head around it… live, in front of me, a plane comes into view. I remember thinking that it must be a news plane and that the plane was going to fly around the second tower, but when it went through the building and fire spilled out of the explosions my heart fell and sank deep into my soul, we were under attack and I found myself lost in prayer.

This year marked the 7th anniversary of the attacks and Butler County police, fire and emergency officials gathered Thursday, Sept. 11, to honor the memory of the thousands of people who died that day in the terrorist’s attacks. While more than 30 area residents gathered later that evening in front of the Fallen Firefighters Memorial on Monument Avenue for a service organized by the Butler County Fire Chiefs Association; the fear hangs in the air that those people who died and that day will fade into a distant memory and forgotten.

I for one will never forget September 11th 2001 and the distinct feelings of fear and devastation of that day. I worked for an international distributor at the time and I knew with the airports locked down, my presence at work was non-negotiable. All I wanted to do was get my daughter from school and be with my family and pray. The face of America changed that day and the memory of thousands of people ring in the hearts of Americans every year. No... we won't forget

No comments: